[TUHS] [off-topic] Anyone still using USENET?

Angel M Alganza ama at ugr.es
Sat Jan 28 03:01:03 AEST 2023

My lovely Sparc SS20, in which I used to do email and USENET news, broke
down a few years ago and I haven't taken the time neither to bring it
back to life nor to replicate my news set up (leafnode + tinn) somewhere
else, so alas I haven't been checking the news for a (far too long)
while now.

On 2023-01-27 17:05, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Reddit is sort of a centralized Usenet with voting.
> Reddit is my primary news source these days and I wade through a lot of
> random stuff there.  There is a lot of noise but once in a while some

I find the ratio signal/noise of Reddit far too low to use it as a
regular news source for me. For technical news, there is Hacker News
(HN), which in place of a voting system, has a tipping system which
rewards with small amounts of money the more interesting/useful posts
and comments.

In the same line, there is also Stacker News (SN), which uses Bitcoin on
the Lightning Network for tips. Contents there are more focused about
Bitcoin and economics, but more users are joining and proposing to widen
the areas of focus on the site: technology, computing, etc.

Both, HN and SN are centralized, but we are having discussions on SN
about the possibility for SN to be converted to a Nostr client, which
would keep the great spirit and maintain the interface, but replace its
back-end (currently a centralized database) with Nostr relays, making it
truly decentralized, much more robust, fault tolerant, and censorship
resistant. I'm using Nostr more and more everyday, and I think it's soon
will be my primary news source.

If you have a look at SN and decide to join, please consider using my
referral link: https://stacker.news/r/ama, so that when you stack your
satoshi (Bitcoin tips), I get some little percentage, too, if you don't
mind.  :-)

Hit me at Nostr at
https://astral.ninja/npub1ttk90a6kkphe9h0dys9mqy38wxa7t4t7g39vys76f4cglqr49rgqh6xxpx
where I'd love for notes about the unix in general and its history in
particular to start accumulating.

Cheers,
Ángel