[TUHS] Setting up an X Development Environment for Mac OS

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Jan 28 02:10:16 AEST 2023

On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 02:54:19PM +0000, Ron Natalie wrote:
> It included traditional 6250 9 track tapes and the
> then-popular exabyte 8mm (which was atrociously short lived).

Ah, 8mm Exabyte, how I despise thee.

When I left Sun for SGI, Ken Okin graciously let me take my Sun 4/470,
that had 768MB of ram (crazy big for the time, I had that because I fixed
the VM system for big memory machines).  It also had an 8mm Exabyte and
a bunch of goodies on tape.

Wheeling that machine from my VW van into building 9 at SGI was enough
jiggling that *none* of my tapes were readable.

I've never seen a more fragile system than those exabyte.  By comparison,
the old SCSI QIC 150s, while small, were industructible, I think you
could have used the tapes as hammers and they'd still read.  Same thing
for 9 track.