[TUHS] Setting up an X Development Environment for Mac OS

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Jan 29 08:15:55 AEST 2023

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023, Larry McVoy wrote:

[...]

> I've never seen a more fragile system than those exabyte.  By
> comparison, the old SCSI QIC 150s, while small, were industructible, I
> think you could have used the tapes as hammers and they'd still read.
> Same thing for 9 track.

My experience with Exabytes was different; we used "data" tapes, not the
cheaper "video" tapes and had no problems over many years.

In fact, in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data8 we see:

    ``The cassettes have the same dimensions and construction as the
      cassettes used in 8 mm video format recorders and camcorders.''

In other words, they are not the same thing...

-- Dave