[TUHS] [off-topic] Anyone still using USENET?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Jan 28 03:08:36 AEST 2023

On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 06:01:03PM +0100, Angel M Alganza wrote:
> I find the ratio signal/noise of Reddit far too low to use it as a regular
> news source for me. For technical news, there is Hacker News (HN), which in
> place of a voting system, has a tipping system which rewards with small
> amounts of money the more interesting/useful posts and comments.

I left hacker news a few years ago for two reasons:

A) the signal noise ratio, as a systems person, is awful.  They talk about
   trivial stuff like it is a big deal.  There is very little in the way
   of interesting stuff there.  It all sounds technical until you look
   into it, it's 98% fluff.

B) There is some paid(?) schill there who stomps on anyone saying anything
   bad about Roundup.  Cancer got my dad, he got it from Roundup.
   Every time I tried point out I had personal data on the topic (and all
   you have to do is google Roundup and cancer and you get a bizillion
   law firms who want to represent you), this schill jumped on me.
   I complained to the admins and they did nothing, so I left.  They
   were getting more out of me than I was getting out of that site
   so sucks to be them.

On the signal/noise on reddit, /r/news is reasonable and not that
different than Google news other than it shows up on reddit first.