[TUHS] FD 2

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 01:16:25 AEST 2023

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 10:02 AM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 07:09:55PM +1100, Rob Pike wrote:
> > And then we have pttys, speaking of pitys.
>
> I'm not seeing how you do stuff like ssh into a remote system and have
> job control, etc, work without some sort of tty.

You don't. But perhaps that model isn't super great.

There was no job control on plan9 and I can't say I ever missed it. If
I needed another terminal, I just swept open another window. Job
control, even remote access a la SSH (or telnet, or rlogin), are a bit
of an historical accident. If, instead, my computing environment is
the set of shared resources I've imported into my system, then I don't
necessarily need something like that. The plan9 `cpu` command, for
access to a remote CPU server, conceptually brought the CPU server to
you, not the other way around.

It was a very different model.

        - Dan C.