[TUHS] Cool talk on Unix and Sendmail history, by Eric Allman

Rich Salz rich.salz at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 00:54:20 AEST 2023

He says he wraps everything he uses in the standard library; "this tends to
make my code idiosyncratic."  At some Usenix, someone once summed it up to
me as "It is the most beautiful code that is completely unmodifiable."
Seemed appropriate.  (Compare to procmail, where the quote was "seen the
source? Gaah, my eyes are melting.")

I enjoyed watching this, thanks. I agree with the other comment "what,
nothing about security?" Sendmail did enable the first Internet worm :)