[TUHS] Origins of the frame buffer device

Jonathan Gray jsg at jsg.id.au
Mon Mar 6 20:43:38 AEST 2023

A 256x256 frame buffer at the University of Toronto is mentioned in

Ronald M. Baecker
Interactive graphics as a vehicle for the enhancement of human creativity
Proceedings of the 5th Canadian Man-Computer Communications Conference:
Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 26 - 27 May 1977
https://graphicsinterface.org/wp-content/uploads/cmccc1977-10.pdf
https://graphicsinterface.org/proceedings/cmccc1977/cmccc1977-10/

USA/Canada Visit, August 1977 by Bob Hopgood
http://www.chilton-computing.org.uk/acd/literature/reports/p002.htm

some discussion on early frame buffers in

Ronald Baecker
Digital video display systems and dynamic graphics
ACM SIGGRAPH August 1979
https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/965103.807424
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/965103.807424