[TUHS] Origins of the frame buffer device

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu Mar 9 04:45:59 AEST 2023

Larry McVoy wrote in
 <20230308182120.GL5993 at mcvoy.com>:
 |I really miss terminal rooms.  I learned so much looking over the
 |shoulders of more experienced people.  Wait, you can run a paragraph of
 |text through fmt(1)?  How the heck did you do that?
 |
 |I don't really miss it for me, I'm retired, but I think kids learning
 |are sort of at a disadvantage.  Not sure there is a youtube video that
 |teaches you to say:
 |
 |:map , !}fmt<CR>

vim can do this built-in (sufficiently for me).

  map     <F11>   <Esc>{gq}

Rarely (GNU) fmt (only, the latter) can really do better

  map     <F12>M  <Esc>:'{,'}!fmt 64 66<CR>
  map     <F12>m  <Esc>:'{,'}!fmt --uniform-spacing --width=66 --goal=64<CR>

I have forgotten the cryptic meaning - Don't ask me no question,
I know a little, All i can do is write about it, Am i losin',
I never dreamed That smell (sweet home alabama).
I must now get explicitly rid of things in [ci]?map however (like
<C-A>   <Nop>, C-X, C-E etc) to be a free bird.  'Just a Simple
Man.  But enough Lynyrd Skynyrd southern US!  (Sorry!)

For decades i want to check out vile, but never made it there for
long.  (Now that i switched back to tabulator indentation maybe.
It now can spaces, on the other hand, i think.  Comments
auto-joining back over lines in vim's C mode is so nice, then
again.)

--steffen