[TUHS] : C dialects

Luther Johnson luther at makerlisp.com
Tue Mar 14 05:24:36 AEST 2023

I agree with everything you just said here.

One of the motivations behind new dialects and languages, which I think
is very harmful, is the idea that we can and should, engineer the
necessity to know and understand what we are doing when we program in a
given language. I'm not talking about semantic leverage, higher level
languages with more abstract functions on more abstract data, there are
real benefits there, we will all probably agree to that.

I'm talking more about where the intent is to invest languages with more
"safety", "good practices", to bake certain preferences into language
features, so that writers no longer recognize these as engineering
choices, and the language as a means of expression of any choice we
might make, but that the language has built-in "the right way" to do
things, and if the program compiles and runs at all, then it must be
safe and working in certain respects.

No matter what language, craft and knowledge are not optional. The
language that we choose for a problem domain wants to give us freedom to
express our choices, while taking care of the things that wold otherwise
weigh us down. Some people would say that's exactly what the new
dialects bring us, but I see too much artificial orthodoxy invented last
week, and too many declarations of the "one true way", in many of the
most recent languages, for my taste.