[TUHS] BSTJ 1978 UNIX Issue Price Appreciation

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri May 12 05:38:58 AEST 2023

Dan Siewiorek and Gordon Bell authors with Allen Newell of "Computer
Structures: Principles and Examples"  (a.k.a. SBN) - until Hennesy and
Patterson wrote their book, was popularly used by the schools that
taught computer architecture.  [You can download a PDF from Gordon web site
if you search for it] The book has copies of some of the most famous papers
on computer architecture, among other things. Gordon was still on CMU's
faculty part-time when he was at DEC when I was a student.

I'm one of the many legacies of the over 50 years of teaching by Dan
Siewiorek -- remember in the 1970s there was an infamous band (named after
an interesting object BTW).  His students sometimes referred to him
as Steely Dan as a term of endearment.  I think he has been emeritus for a
number of years, but he still comes (walks) to work most days and still is
part of the grad systems seminar. In fact, the last time I saw him, he had
asked me to come to be a guest lecturer.  Funny, I rarely get nervous
before a talk, and I have had some interesting and infamous people in my
audience asking questions.  But doing a  talk for someone who had been my
undergrad advisor and I so revered did make me so. I wanted to do right for
him.

Clem
ᐧ