[TUHS] Question about BSD disklabel history

G. Branden Robinson g.branden.robinson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 09:50:23 AEST 2024

[self-follow-up]

At 2023-12-31T16:46:51-0600, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> The m68k "Old World" PowerMacs used a different firmware entirely; I

Sorry, I was missing the word "and" after "m68k" here.  I certainly
would not deliberately claim that Old World PowerMacs were m68k boxes.

> assume boot ROM code descended from the original Macintosh (or even
> Lisa, maybe).  The PowerPC "New World" PowerMacs, which immediately
> departed from the beige color scheme, did come in with Apple's
> acquisition of NeXT.

...and used OpenFirmware for their boot ROMs universally.

It's my understanding that the OLPC ("One Laptop Per Child") laptop used
OF as well, and would have been one of the more unusual devices to do
so, but I never got to play with one of those.

Regards,
Branden