[TUHS] Question about BSD disklabel history

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Mon Jan 1 10:09:19 AEST 2024

>> assume boot ROM code descended from the original Macintosh (or even
>> Lisa, maybe).  The PowerPC "New World" PowerMacs, which immediately
>> departed from the beige color scheme, did come in with Apple's
>> acquisition of NeXT.

Sorry, I don't see the original of this misstatement

The first generation Nubus PowerMacs use essentially an unmodified 68K
ROM for booting, emulating a 68LC040 to do so. Also, Mac and Lisa firmware
are completely different from each other.

The second generation machines with PCI had Open Firmware.

"New World" refers to ROM in RAM systems which have pretty much just
some hardware init and OF in them and started around the time of the iMac