[TUHS] Original print of V7 manual?

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Sat Jan 6 11:45:08 AEST 2024

On Friday, January 5th, 2024 at 5:06 PM, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

> Volume 1 appears to be well over $100 now on the used book market.

First Al welcome back, sorry I'm an idiot that caused some animosity in the past, we're working towards the same goal and I'm glad to see your name around here again.

Second, I've got paper copies of both HRW volumes, I would more than happily cover shipping both ways if you'd be interested in the Volume 1 to add with this.  Your scan facilities are much more sophisticated than mine.  My only condition is a non-destructive scan, I would want it back afterwards.  Otherwise if there's interest I can add it to my own backlog just remember I'm scanning on a crappy little Canon LiDE scanner from Goodwill.  It's all I've got, not humming and hawing around until I get the perfect setup to take care of business.

Anywho, Mychaela thanks for the thorough inquiry, I'm glad you've thought out what it is you're seeking already, makes it much easier to pipeline it.  While I'm at it I'll also satisfy my own curiosity and note whether the discrepancies you're noting are also apparent in some way in Release 3.0 and 4.0 print materials vs Version 7.  AFAIK pretty much everything had been remastered by the time System V rolled around, I'm fairly certain the osdd macro package was used for those, my understanding of osdd macros were that they were used for producing more "BSP-ish" typesetting of papers, what with a select code, issue number, and date in the upper right, fonts that align with BSPs, etc.  Release 4.0 is the last one in the USG/PWB line, to my understanding, liable to have pages in the print documents taken from the same plates that go back to V7 (except for the AT&T branded Release 4.0-ish "Starter Packages", still haven't found these in the wild.)

More to come!

- Matt G.