[TUHS] Original print of V7 manual?

Douglas McIlroy douglas.mcilroy at dartmouth.edu
Sun Jan 7 23:42:03 AEST 2024

>> What was the physical form of this book?  Was it a "perfect bound"
>> book?

> The HRW copies I have are perfect bound.  But I can't remember if they
> were 3-hole punched as well.

The Holt Rinehart edition was 3-hole punched. The original V7
(and its predecessors) were prepared for AT&T standard 4-hole binders, but
distributed in Accopress binders that used only 2 of the 4.

4-hole paper was punched 2" and 3 3/8" from top and bottom of 11" paper.
This reduced the stress concentration that makes the isolated end holes in
3-hole paper vulnerable to tearing out. It was a let-down when AT&T
eventually acceded to a sort of loose-leaf Gresham's law and switched to 3
holes.

Doug