[TUHS] Original print of V7 manual? / My own version of troff

tuhs at cuzuco.com tuhs at cuzuco.com
Thu Jan 11 04:50:44 AEST 2024

No idea what COFF is, but in the early 1980s, two non-troff options on
the software side were -

1) TeX. From Donald Knuth, which means tau epsilon chi, pronounced tech
   not tex. The urban legend was upon seeing an inital copy of one of his
   books sometime in the 1970s, he yelled "blech!" and decided that if you
   wanted your documents to look right, you need to do be able to it
   yourself, and TeX rhymes with blech.

2) Scribe. From Brian Reid, of Carnegie-Mellon
   See http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/scribe.pdf

-Brian

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com wrtoe: