[TUHS] Original print of V7 manual? / My own version of troff

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Thu Jan 11 08:04:53 AEST 2024

Knuth opens his TeXbook, explaining TeX's origin and pronunciation.

“English words like ‘technology’ stem from a Greek root beginning with
the letters τεχ…; and this same Greek word means art as well as
technology.  Hence the name TeX, which is an uppercase form of τεχ.”

He then indeed introduces blecchhh, but he doesn't connect it with the
absence of quality.

“Insiders pronounce the χ of TeX as a Greek chi, not as an ‘x’ so that
TeX rhymes with the word blecchhh.”

(I couldn't help noticing that in my 1989 edition of the book, ellipsis
after τεχ appears to be set as three periods ‘...’ rather than a real
ellipsis ‘…’.  The (modern) Greek words for art  and technology are
τέχνη (techni) and τεχνολογία (technologia), respectively.

Diomidis