[TUHS] Original print of V7 manual? / My own version of troff

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Thu Jan 11 09:46:56 AEST 2024

Just to swing this back around to V7 docs, this auction has been on eBay for a little bit now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134767543042

After the link is an auction for the HRW V7 manuals, as well as a second Volume 1, the second edition of the Nemeth administration book, and a Fall '84 software catalog from AT&T.  I might jump on this in a week or so if it is still up, although all I really want is the software catalog.  That to say, if someone else does pick this up, all I'd ask is I would like to purchase the catalog then from you or otherwise see to it that it gets scanned.  Otherwise if I do pick it up, expect a follow up posting offering up the V7 pair, I'd take the other Volume 1 (and Nemeth book) to that uni bookshelf I donated a V7 Volume 2 binder to.  If you get this and disappear the software catalog into a memory hole, your mother is a hamster and father smells of elderberries.

- Matt G.

P.S. For those who don't go looking often but might be interested, these are currently listed on eBay in various places:

- 1 Bell Laboratories UNIX Release 3.0 User's Manual.
- 3 Western Electric UNIX Release 5.0 User's Manuals.
- 1 Western Electric UNIX Release 5.0 Error Message Manual.
- Lots of picture-less auctions (you're selling books, pictures are the least you can do...) of allegedly parts of the HRW UNIX SVR2 5 Volume set.  These are small form with metallic alphabet blocks otherwise resembling the motif on the V7 manuals cover.  Distinct from the black and red binders distributed closer to actual machine purchases.
- The usual gaggle of SVR3 and SVR4 manuals, there's always a rotation of them up so not going to point out specifics.

The Release 5.0 Error Message Manual is particularly interesting in that the cover looks virtually identical to the usual Release 5.0/System V motif but the text says "UNIX Operating System" instead of just "UNIX System" like the Release 5.0 and System V copies I have.  Most literature just says "UNIX System" so I suspect the "Operating" text is on earlier runs of the covers.  Just speculation though, can't say for certain.