[TUHS] Original print of V7 manual? / My own version of troff

G. Branden Robinson g.branden.robinson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 00:08:21 AEST 2024

Hi John,

At 2024-01-18T00:43:41+1100, John Gardner wrote:
> I'm a professional graphic designer with access to commercial typeface
> authoring software. Send me the highest-quality and most comprehensive
> scans of a C/A/T-printed document, and I'll get to work.

If you don't have my scan of CSTR #54 (1976), which helpfully dumps all
of the glyphs in the faces used by the Bell Labs CSRC C/A/T-4, let me
know and I'll send it along.  I won't vouch for its high quality but it
should be comprehensive with respect to coverage.

> Thanks for reminding me, Branden. :) I've yet to get V7 Unix working
> with the latest release of SimH,

Let me know in private mail where you got stuck.  Maybe I can help.

> I'm still up for this, assuming you've not already started.

No, I haven't--perhaps because I am an Ada fanboy, the prospect of
coding in pre-standard C and its mission to turn anything that can be
lexically analyzed into _some_ sequence of machine instructions has not
stoked my excitement.

(Which isn't to say that one _can't_ write safe code using K&R C; my
fear is that having to remember all of the things the compiler won't do
for you would overwhelm the task at hand.  Too bad Unix V7 didn't have
Perl, since this is basically a text transformation problem.)

Regards,
Branden