[TUHS] Original print of V7 manual? / My own version of troff

Brad Spencer brad at anduin.eldar.org
Thu Jan 18 01:32:26 AEST 2024

"G. Branden Robinson" <g.branden.robinson at gmail.com> writes:

[snip]

> (Which isn't to say that one _can't_ write safe code using K&R C; my
> fear is that having to remember all of the things the compiler won't do
> for you would overwhelm the task at hand.  Too bad Unix V7 didn't have
> Perl, since this is basically a text transformation problem.)
>
> Regards,
> Branden

I may be very much misremembering this, but I think that Perl 3 might
exist for V7.  I have very vague memories of bring up V7 in SimH and
noted that a perl binary existed there.... but it might have been 2.x
BSD...(this is actually the most likely) or something else in SimH.  All
of the history says Perl 1 was created in late 1987, so V7 certainly
would have been around and I wouldn't be suprised that someone attempted
to port it.  I could not find which OS Perl was an initial target for
and I didn't want to grovel though the old Usenet posts.

--
Brad Spencer - brad at anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org