[TUHS] Another awk version is now available

Cameron Tyre via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Fri Sep 25 02:19:09 AEST 2026


Hello Arnold,

Thank you, that was fun during my lunch break. I was able to download, build and run on the Debian 13 terminal on my GrapheneOS phone.

Full disclosure. Build and run _after_ I installed make, yacc and laughed off ed telling me ? lots of times.
https://ibb.co/35yH91qD

I need to learn AWK now but, given the fun I had getting mksawk to run on my phone, why not! Thank you again.

Cameron


-------- Original Message --------
On Thursday, 09/24/26 at 15:54 Aharon Robbins via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:
If anyone wants to have Yet Another Awk Version available for their
testing: https://github.com/arnoldrobbins/mksawk

This awk was originally written by Mortice Kern Systems in the 80s
sometime. Solaris adopted it for their POSIX awk, and it was released
with OpenSolaris.

I took this code from Illumos and made the minimal changes to get it
to build without errors. It passes a "hello, world" smoke test,
including handling Unicode multibyte characters.

I'll probably arrange to announce this on comp.lang.awk sometime soon.

I originally did this like in 2006, and decided to start over with
the current code before publishing it on github.

Arnold



More information about the TUHS mailing list