[TUHS] Another awk version is now available

Marc Donner via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Fri Sep 25 09:02:46 AEST 2026


Did you consider asking Peter Weinberger and Brian Kernighan for the
regression test suite they have for their version?  And the gawk test suite?
=====
[I write my own messages.  Never from AI.]
exploringaimatters.com
nygeek.net

On Thu, Sep 24, 2026, 10:53 Aharon Robbins via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:

> If anyone wants to have Yet Another Awk Version available for their
> testing: https://github.com/arnoldrobbins/mksawk
>
> This awk was originally written by Mortice Kern Systems in the 80s
> sometime. Solaris adopted it for their POSIX awk, and it was released
> with OpenSolaris.
>
> I took this code from Illumos and made the minimal changes to get it
> to build without errors. It passes a "hello, world" smoke test,
> including handling Unicode multibyte characters.
>
> I'll probably arrange to announce this on comp.lang.awk sometime soon.
>
> I originally did this like in 2006, and decided to start over with
> the current code before publishing it on github.
>
> Arnold
>


More information about the TUHS mailing list