Update to Security Hole Patch

Norman Kohn nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Wed Feb 27 16:04:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb23.194114.21743 at bluemoon.uucp> grant at bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:
>martys at mchale.ism.isc.com (Marty Stewart) writes:
>
>...whether they have a math-co or not. This being the case, you should
>be sending the fix to all of us. This is getting to be more and more
>an unsatisfactory situation...  You know who has registered the
>packages (and you should know which of us are resellers, even if we
>did sign up through Hollis) so those of us who have registered should
>automatically get the update/fix without having to wade through the
>phone support morons or send mail to you. With the registered folks
>you have all the above info, so you have no excuses.

I'll second that.  I called last week but didn't have my serial # handy.
(No, I don't keep it next to my phone.)  The tech support guy couldn't
find any record of me in his database.  Now... get this... today
a marketing person from ISC called me at the office because I'm a
known user.  He had no knowledge of the bug, no ability to
help me get the fix, and, as to whether I'm in the database now,
"sorry, our main database computer is down."  Maybe someone logged
in and trashed it through the security hole?

If you're going to telemarket us via your customer database, how about
some show of aftermarket support?  How about sending us a note before
we write or call to beg for fixes?  If you send a newsy, helpful letter
about bugs and upgrades, maybe some of us would even choose to
"upgrade" and send money.   Look at the quality newsletter from
ARNET for an example of how you could do a lot better.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840