Flicker free X386 setup for NEC Multisync II using 28Mhz timing

Chin Fang fangchin at portia.Stanford.EDU
Mon Feb 18 19:06:56 AEST 1991

I have posted flicker free set up for X386 using 32Mhz and 36Mhz timings
respectively.  A while ago, I had a discussion with shite at sinkhole.unf.edu and
he suggested me look into 640x480 using lower clock timings.  Now I have come
up a *very good* setup as long as you are willing to tolerate 640x480.

name        clock    horizontal timing         vertical timing       flag
"640x480"   28       640  676  776  812        480  480  485  505

No special flag necessary.  You *MUST* have a NEC Multisync II (or a monitor
with horizontal and vertical timing very close to it's) and a 28Mhz clock
as determined by Thomas Roell's clock.exe.  See my 2nd posting for NEC
Multisync II's horiz. and vertical timings.

The setup above give you 68.28 Hz refresh rate.  This is *Rock Steady* for
I would say 99% people!  Very good for your eyes!

Now a few comments and observations:

(1) it seems to me that for a low end monitor like NEC Multisync, the best
    clock range lies between 28Mhz and 36Mhz given the monitor's horizontal
    and vertical timings.  A clock timing lower than 28Mhz or higher than
    36Mhz tends to *INTRODUCE* flicker!
(2) non-interlace-ness alone will *NOT* guarantee you flicker-freeness.
    I personally feel the key is *high screen refresh rate*.  Anything below
    60Hz is not good to your eyes if you have to work in front of a monitor
    long, particularily with a white background.  The setups that I have
    posted so far always has refresh rate higher than 63Hz.
(3) It is recommended that if you have a more capable monitor than NEC Multisync    II, you ought to try to push beyong 70Hz refresh rate in your setup.  Don't
    be enticed by sheer resolution alone!  I would prefer 984x738 to 1024x768
    if the former enables me to have a 70+ Hz screen refresh rate but the later
    can't.
(4) to owners of NEC Multisync II and it's close compatibles, I would suggest
    using this setup and if higher res is desired, the first setup that I posted
    (which has a 66+ Hz refresh rate. *almost* rock-steady!)

Please direct your reponses, if any, to the following email address.

Enjoy.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University