device driver timing, adlib music card

Michael Reamy miker at efreet.UUCP
Wed Feb 27 12:52:27 AEST 1991

I am writing a device driver for SCO Unix to run an adlib card sound card.
I need precise timing while playing music so that the music will be played
on time.  I have identified two possible ways to handle this.  One way is to
use the delay(K) function and another would be to use an available timer
to generate an interrupt when I want it.  This is really a real time
application so SV.3 Unix is probably not the best OS to use but it will
have to do (I am doing it for the fun of it).  Has anybody done this before
and know a better way?  Is there a spare timer available that is unused by
SCO Unix?
I have a MIDI player running in user mode (using nap as my interval timer).
If I can figure out the best method of doing this reliably then I will move
the time critical code into the driver.

Michael Reamy
...!uunet!efreet!miker