sexist language

Steven Ryan smryan at garth.UUCP
Wed Nov 23 12:12:55 AEST 1988

>As for  foreign words, English speakers like   to  boast  that the
>English  language contains a  great many of them, but  in reality,
>I've always been non-plussed by this claim.  I don't find that the
>average American  newspaper   uses that   many foreign  words  and
>phrases, and  anyway very  few   of them are  very  common  words.

The foreign words are predominately borrowings from Old French from after 1066.
Words like: foreign, language, contains, reality, non-plussed, (?) claim,
average, uses, phrases, common, predominately, borrowings.

They also include borrowings directly from Latin (the missionaries), like
biscop; and from north german, like skirt, or skiff.

Are these foreign words? They are certainly not `native' german.
--
                                                   -- s m ryan