[COFF] Fwd: Old and Tradition was [TUHS] V9 shell

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Feb 17 08:10:03 AEST 2020

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 4:47 PM Wesley Parish <wobblygong at gmail.com> wrote:

> FWVLIW - I bought a Dover book on slide rule in the late 70s while at
> high school, and shortly after, a real slide rule, and it's stuck with
> me.

My dad taught me with a plastic slide rule he put in our stocking in the
early/mid 1960s.   This was how I (and many others) learn about
interpolation.   I also learned to make log/log paper with it.  A few years
later, my grandfather died when I was in engineering school. My grandmother
sent me his slide rule to remember him by (which I still have). Although
she did not know that at the time, I already owned the then hot item, a TI
SR50 scientific calculator - which I paid the $150 in 1972 dollars (about
$900 in today's money).     I also got his drafting table, but I no longer
have that.   The slide rule is made of ivory on top of metal (I think
bronze but I never had it checked).  It was probably made in the 1920s.  It
stays in a box in desk ;-)

A slightly, sad part is I don't think either of my kids knows how to use
it, and while both have degrees in science, I don't think either wants it.