[COFF] Fwd: Old and Tradition was [TUHS] V9 shell

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Mon Feb 17 08:45:58 AEST 2020

On 2/16/2020 5:10 PM, Clem Cole wrote:
> This was how I (and many others) learn about interpolation

I learned about interpolation in either middle school or high school
math. And used it many times in video games I had my hands in. I was a
year or two ahead (depending on which year) in math.

Create an array (or a cache at startup) with all the logs I needed, and
then interpolate on the fly. And do the reverse for the alog().

Quite handy.

As for slide-rules, I remember my father had one, and used it regularly.
I never even looked at it. He died when I was 16. A few years later, I
took it out of it's case, looked at it, and thought "ah! logs". I had
never known what a slide-rule was. And I was born in 1965 ;) They
certainly didn't teach us about slide rules in school.

ak

PS: Take the log of a number, divide by two, take the alog() and get the
sqrt(). Divide by 3, cube root, etc. I was impressed, to say the least.