[COFF] Fwd: Old and Tradition was [TUHS] V9 shell

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Mon Feb 17 09:50:50 AEST 2020

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 17:10:03 -0500 Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 4:47 PM Wesley Parish <wobblygong at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > FWVLIW - I bought a Dover book on slide rule in the late 70s while at
> > high school, and shortly after, a real slide rule, and it's stuck with
> > me.
> >
> My dad taught me with a plastic slide rule he put in our stocking in the
> early/mid 1960s.   This was how I (and many others) learn about
> interpolation.   I also learned to make log/log paper with it.  A few years
> later, my grandfather died when I was in engineering school. My grandmother
> sent me his slide rule to remember him by (which I still have). Although
> she did not know that at the time, I already owned the then hot item, a TI
> SR50 scientific calculator - which I paid the $150 in 1972 dollars (about
> $900 in today's money).     I also got his drafting table, but I no longer
> have that.   The slide rule is made of ivory on top of metal (I think
> bronze but I never had it checked).  It was probably made in the 1920s.  It
> stays in a box in desk ;-)

What brand was your grandfather's sliderule?

I had a yellow Pickett sliderule in my undergrad days. IIRC it
had some sort of aluminum alloy slide and didn't work as
smoothly as an Aristo or a Faber-Castell. A friend had TI
scinetific calculator with RED LED digits -- may have been the
SR50.  Aesthetically it didn't hold a candle to the beautfiul
sliderules!

Some sliderule simulators here: https://www.sliderules.org/
(mine looked exactly like the N600)

Online Museum here: https://sliderulemuseum.com/SRM_Home.htm

> A slightly, sad part is I don't think either of my kids knows how to use
> it, and while both have degrees in science, I don't think either wants it.

So it goes!