UNIX for my 11/34A

Steven M. Schultz sms at wlv.iipo.gtegsc.com
Thu Sep 12 01:30:34 AEST 1996

Warren -

	Greetings.

> From: wkt at csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)
> Matthias, I'm pretty sure that the v6 RL driver supports RL01s and RL02s,
> the only difference is number of sectors on the RL01.

	V6 predates the RL02 by enough time that I doubt V6 has RL0? support
	unless someone managed to graft it on after ~1979 (by which time V7
	was out).

	V7 _initially_ did *not* have RL02 support.  When we got our first V7
	tape in 1979 a RL02 driver was written locally in ~79 or 80.  So
	unless someone added the RL0? support to V7 and submitted the updated
	images to the archives it's doubtful RL devices can be used with V7.

	2.9BSD came with the necessary drivers because that system came a couple
	years later than V7 and the folks at UCB had had time to write the
	drivers and boot support.

> One thing to note, the RL02 kernel comes with swap at the end of the
> RL02. You will need to rebuild a kernel so that the location and size of the

	Quite right.  The 'swaplo' global must agree with the partition table
	wired into the driver or the system will end up swapping over top of
	the root filesystem.  *ick* ;)

	Cheers.

	Steven