PDP-11: Disk over Serial proposal

Erin Corliss zomad at rio.com
Tue Dec 9 01:03:34 AEST 1997

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Tim Shoppa wrote:

> One thing we don't want people doing is thinking that the TU58
> protocol can be used as a poor man's system disk.  Yes, it is
> flexible enough to be used as such, but it would be cruel to
> allow anyone to do that to themselves :-)

Ummm....  I'd just like to point out here that if I was intending to put
PDP-11 Unix to any meaningful use (which *would* be a terrible thing to
do to myself) I'd just run an emulator on one of my other computers.  What
I'm looking for here is a project I can kill some of my weekends on.  I
was thinking eventually I could wire the /usr/games/chess up to my web
page so people could "Play a game of chess with the PDP-11!", you know, as
kind of a freak show act....