UNIX for PDP-11: moving on to media

David C. Jenner djenner at halcyon.com
Fri Sep 12 02:01:12 AEST 1997

Warren,

I think you are exactly correct when you say these are the first two
eminent, and imminent questions about PDP-11 Unix.  They have frequently
occurred to me as I drool in anticipation over the possibility of
running 2.11BSD on an 11/73!

Maybe you or a 2.11BSD expert (Steve Schultz?) could find the "release
notes" for 2.11BSD and post them, if that's legal now.  That would
answer a lot of questions about how to configure a machine or whether a
particular machine could handle it.  Maybe the release notes from two or
three different versions could cover a great majority of potential
users; your survey might answer that.

It will be great to have everything on a CD-ROM, but that probably won't
help a majority of users bootstrap up a system, since most won't have a
CD-ROM or maybe even no operating system to start with.  We are going to
have to find someone(s) who is (are) willing to make up a standard
distribution tape (9-track or otherwise) or floppies (is that
possible?).  This could really be the biggest hurdle to getting a system
running on many machines.

Dave