Old Unix Preservation -- How to save the SysV varients

Greg Lehey grog at lemis.com
Thu Aug 6 15:23:54 AEST 1998

On Thursday,  6 August 1998 at  1:46:20 +0200, Kees Stravers wrote:
> pechter at shell.monmouth.com said on Thu, 6 Aug 1998 00:08:07 +0200 (CEST)
>  pe>One thing about preserving the Unix varients.  There's a number of
>  pe>interesting (lesser known) versions with features that may be
>  pe>interesting to study.  This may be because of my history major
>  pe>background -- or that I spent too many years in Field Service for
>  pe>far too many vendors of these boxes.
>  pe>One example is Masscomp/Concurrent's early RTU which had dual
>  pe>universes (SysIII-SysV/BSD libraries), DEC-like ASTs and real-time
>  pe>processes. Concurrent (originally  Interdata, Perkin-Elmer) also
>  pe>had a very nice non virtual memory SysVRel2 called Xelos as well as
>  pe>Edition VII.
>
>  8< snip >8
>
> Do you have any hardware documentation left on the Masscomps?

I've never even *seen* a Masscomp, but "Writing a UNIX Device Driver",
by Janet Egan and Thomas Teixeira, based on a Masscomp document.  It's
possible that if you can find one of them, they could give you a lead.

Greg
finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

	by minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (8.8.8/8.8.8) id JAA25327
	for pups-liszt; Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:37:25 +1000 (EST)