Changing passwords with 2.11BSD

Greg Lehey grog at lemis.com
Wed Feb 25 14:07:04 AEST 1998

I've just installed a 2.11BSD, and I'm having some funny problems.
Here's one; I'll make a separate message of the other.

I've added a new user with vipw.  When I try to change the password, I
get this:

login: root
Password:
Last login: Sat Aug  9 02:25:12 on console
2.11 BSD UNIX #7: Fri Aug 8 14:14:34 MET DST
[1] root--> passwd grog
Changing password for grog.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: mkpasswd failed; password unchanged.
[2] root-->

If I run mkpasswd against /etc/master.passwd, it works fine.  But that
way I can't change my password.

Any ideas?

Greg