Snake Oil (was Re: 4.4BSD)

Mike Jenkins mjenkins at carp.gbr.epa.gov
Thu Jan 28 08:08:49 AEST 1999

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 "Steven M. Schultz" <sms at moe.2bsd.com> wrote:

> 	I maintain the opposite.  VMS _was_ (past tense) the driver of
> 	VAXEN but that was due to Ken "UNIX is Snake Oil" Olsen.  Since DEC

I got a whole different perspective on that Snake Oil thing after reading
"A Quarter Century of UNIX" by Peter Salus.  According to Armando Stettner
(DEC Ultrix Architect) Ken Olsen meant, "Much the way people were peddling
snake oil a century ago, now every vendor is hyping Unix as a cure for
everything".  He was only making a analogy but the statement was "taken
out of context".  Anyway, the book has been enjoyable.

Mike
P.S. Where is Armando now?  Is he still doing Unix stuff?

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id KAA05079
	for pups-liszt; Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:11:08 +1100 (EST)