Dead MicroVAX II :(

Brian Chase bdc at world.std.com
Sat May 27 08:21:49 AEST 2000

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:
> > If you want a modern Unix OS [...]
>
> If he did, why would he want a VAX? Someone who detests "modern" pee
> sea hardware and prefers the vastly superior classical DEC stuff (like
> I do) would surely feel the same way about software (again like I do).
> Why should one treat hardware and software differently in this
> respect? Why mix-and-match the wonderful classical hardware with
> crappy bloated "modern" software?

This list is definitely geared towards people running classic OSes on
classic systems.  I actually really enjoy having lots of the bloated
modern hardware running on my VAXen.  So much contemporary software
compiles and runs right out of the tarballs under NetBSD/vax.  And
honestly, a lot of it performs quite admirably on even my humblest of
MicroVAX II's.

I see nothing incompatible with loving modern OSes running well on ancient
hardware. :-)

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc at world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
All math equations have a fistfight on at least one side.  -- K.

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id BAA51832
	for pups-liszt; Sun, 28 May 2000 01:50:42 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)