[pups] Announce: The Unix Tree

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.edu.au
Tue Feb 27 08:32:38 AEST 2001

In article by jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de:
> On 26 Feb, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
> > Because of the license restrictions, you need your normal UNIX Archive
> > username and password to browse.
> Hmm. Can you set up Apache to provide SSL / HTTPS? I don't like to send
> passwords unencrypted around the world.
> tsch__,
>          Jochen

They are not real passwords, in a sense. There is only a userpool of
1,000 usernames/passwords.

When you register for access into the Unix Archive, you get one out of
the pool. The only purpose here is to prove to SCO that you indeed
agreed to their on-line license before you were given access to the
archive.

I'd be quite happy to completely dispense with the passwords altogether
and run an anonymous service. If/when Caldera work out what they are doing
with this stuff, I'll push them to allow for anonymous access.

Cheers,
	Warren

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id JAA55130
	for pups-liszt; Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:39:18 +1100 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)