[TUHS] Porting Unix v6 to i386

Sven Dehmlow sven_dehmlow at web.de
Tue Jan 29 23:47:06 AEST 2002

On Monday 28 January 2002 22:03, Jonathan Naylor wrote:
> Hi Sven
>
> I can't help feel that you've missed the point of wanting to port
> UNIX edition 6 or 7 to the PC. Its a challenge, nothing more,
> nothing less. I have run both editions on Bob Supniks excellent
> emulator (now with PDP-10 support BTW) and they're great, but it'd
> be ultra cool to boot it directly on a PC.

I can't agree more, it would even be more than ultra cool to be able
to boot Unix 6th Edition directly on your PC.
But I can't make a complete (and everything else would be senseless)
port on my own as this would from my point of view mean to much work
for a single individual. I try to do as much as I can but if you want
to get a real port we've to found an open source project for reaching
this aim.

> I would guess that VMWare would be a great host, or maybe its open
> source equivalents (Plex86 or Bochs) so that you could save the
> reboot cycles. I would also try porting V7 instead of V6, at least
> initially. With so much open source code out there, it'd be a
> relatively simple task to find C code for IDE disc access and such
> like. I would even suggest getting older Linux code from the 2.0.x
> days as its likely to be a little less complex, while still being
> stable.

Well, this are details. The question to be answered before we can
start thinking about them is this one above: Do we start an open
source project for porting Unix or not?

> Just my 0.02 EURO.

You should notice that it is dangerous to talk about the EURO with
me. I always become very aggressive... ;-)

> Jonathan

Sven