[TUHS] license

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Mon Nov 4 15:43:13 AEST 2002

On Monday,  4 November 2002 at  0:02:40 -0500, Marco Robado wrote:
> Hi, I am curently writing an article about the history of open source. I
> know all you can find on the Internet about the history of  unix and BSD
> and the conflict between these two when BSD decided to opensource. But I
> could never find a copy of both licenses in the early days. I would like
> to give examples of a license on which the source of a software was
> delivered in the 70's. I browsed thru the sources of  unix v5 and the
> only copyright I found was in the code of the c compiler and it just
> stated that it was copyrighted by Bell labs in 1972. I would think that
> there was some kind of hard copy copyright that came with the tape on
> wich the sources were originaly delivered. For BSD I  found in the
> source of 2.11BSD a reference to "The Berkeley software license
> Agreement" but I don't have a copy of that document. I would appreciate
> if someone would communicate with me by e-mail or thru this list to give
> me some info about all that.

I'll leave it to others to describe the early days.  The Berkeley
Software License Agreement, generally called the BSD license, is
pretty straightforward, though.  Take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/license.html for the original
copyright, under which 4.4BSD was released, and at
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html for the current
BSD license.

Greg
--