[pups] Re: [TUHS] Can someone advise me regarding a gui for UNIX

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Thu Oct 10 16:25:05 AEST 2002

On Thursday, 10 October 2002 at  1:23:30 -0400, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> Hello from Gregg C Levine
> Cross posted to both TUH, and PUPS lists, apologies to all.
> Can someone advise me regarding when the GUIs became a standard feature on
> UNIX?

Well, there are three variables.  GUI, standard and UNIX.

> Or operating systems whose ancestry was indeed UNIX? I know that
> with Linux, for example started carrying one, about the same time
> the kernel became capable of supporting it. Or at least that's my
> opinion. With regard to the materials we discuss here, well, that's
> what I am attempting to ascertain.

If by "GUI" you mean a windowing system, and by "standard" you mean
generally available, then I'd say the late 80s.  I started using X11R3
on Interactive UNIX/386 in early 1990.  I'm sure I didn't count as an
"early adopter".

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key