[TUHS] LoC now involved with saving digital history

Wm. G. McGrath wgm at telus.net
Wed Feb 26 02:05:13 AEST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:33:38 +1030
"Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at lemis.com> wrote:

>Sorry, I wasn't clear.  In America, "Federal" refers to the
>American federal government.  Here it refers to the Australian
>federal government.  Thus, the funds that the original poster
>mentioned would probably not be available.

Clear enough. As a Canadian I'm certainly aware of the difference
between federal and regional goverments. AFAIK though Digital was a
Massachusetts company and thus the LoC has an interest in it's
activities - along with the rest of the American computer industry.
It's only logical that they'd have an interest in TUHS archives. It
would be a shame to see TUHS loose out because of a silly turf war.
Regardless of where the archive site hardware is located, the
information in TUHS archives is clearly American. If you are
interested in the preservation of Unix heritage I really can't see
the point of nationalistic hostility, refusing to cooperate, or at
least of trying. The LoC is certainly one of the best data
repositories on the planet, and a great way of ensuring that
knowledge about Unix is available to future generations. In my view
results will probably depend more upon how things are approached
rather then what country the server is located in. One thing is
perfectly clear. Digital heritage has become very important.

	bill

http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/ndiipp/repor/repor_plan.html
http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2003/03-022.html
http://www.loc.gov/