[TUHS] This is too weird

Kenneth Stailey kstailey at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 13:02:05 AEST 2003

--- Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:49:05AM -0700, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> > It just keeps getting weirder:
> > http://www.sco.com/scosource/unixtree/unixhistory01.html
>
> Well, if SCO is claiming intellecutal property rights to Linux, why
> are they intimating that they will sue Linus?
>
> This is becoming an alternate reality.
>
> 	Warren

When we find out that there's SCO code in Cygwin call me. ;)

The chart is a good way to confuse things.  The poor guy that made the original
must be crying that he let SCO use it years ago.

The part that confuses me is that I remember there were dotted lines one on the
original UNIX history chart that showed non-source-code-copying influences and
now even the real UNIX history chart is using only solid lines.  It makes MINIX
look like it has 7th Ed code in it instead of just being a 7th Ed API
implementation from scratch like it is.

That's the part that's really on drugs by the time SCO is using it as evidence
that there is a Linux pedigree or whatever that connects 7th Ed to Linux.

I think the real story is that they want to make as much press as they can
since it boosts their stock.

Meanwhile every time they say they own UNIX they are complete liars because:

> http://www.sco.com/scosource/linuxqanda.html
>
> As the owners of the UNIX operating system, it is incumbent upon SCO to

To what?  Violate their agreements with The Open Group?

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/23/1053585678840.html

"Reference to the SCO web site shows that they own certain intellectual
property and that they correctly attribute the trademark to The Open Group.
SCO has never owned "UNIX".  SCO is licensed to use the registered trademark
UNIX "on and in connection" with their products that have been certified by The
Open Group, as are all other licensees," the statement said.

"These are the only circumstances in which a licensee may use the trademark
UNIX on and in connection with its products.  Statements that SCO 'owns the
UNIX operating system', has 'licensed UNIX to XYZ' are clearly inaccurate and
misleading."