[TUHS] This is too weird

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Wed Jun 11 21:52:18 AEST 2003

And Coherent!

No, SCO has lost it, and lost all chance of ever regaining the trust of anyone
with the barest skerrick of knowledge of Unix history.

I checked out an interesting web site:
http://www.robotwisdom.com/linux/nonnix.html
I had no idea that cloning Unix had gotten off to such an early start - Idris
from Plauger et al., Cromix from Cromemco, Yourdon's Omnix, Oasis, etc.

SCO hasn't got a leg to stand on - on the other hand, are those toenails I see
stuck in its teeth?

Wesley Parish

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:02, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> --- Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:49:05AM -0700, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> > > It just keeps getting weirder:
> > > http://www.sco.com/scosource/unixtree/unixhistory01.html
> >
> > Well, if SCO is claiming intellecutal property rights to Linux, why
> > are they intimating that they will sue Linus?
> >
> > This is becoming an alternate reality.
> >
> > 	Warren
>
> When we find out that there's SCO code in Cygwin call me. ;)
>
> The chart is a good way to confuse things.  The poor guy that made the
> original must be crying that he let SCO use it years ago.
>
> The part that confuses me is that I remember there were dotted lines one on
> the original UNIX history chart that showed non-source-code-copying
> influences and now even the real UNIX history chart is using only solid
> lines.  It makes MINIX look like it has 7th Ed code in it instead of just
> being a 7th Ed API implementation from scratch like it is.
>
> That's the part that's really on drugs by the time SCO is using it as
> evidence that there is a Linux pedigree or whatever that connects 7th Ed to
> Linux.
>
> I think the real story is that they want to make as much press as they can
> since it boosts their stock.
>
> Meanwhile every time they say they own UNIX they are complete liars because:
> > http://www.sco.com/scosource/linuxqanda.html
> >
> > As the owners of the UNIX operating system, it is incumbent upon SCO to
>
> To what?  Violate their agreements with The Open Group?
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/23/1053585678840.html
>
> "Reference to the SCO web site shows that they own certain intellectual
> property and that they correctly attribute the trademark to The Open Group.
> SCO has never owned "UNIX".  SCO is licensed to use the registered
> trademark UNIX "on and in connection" with their products that have been
> certified by The Open Group, as are all other licensees," the statement
> said.
>
> "These are the only circumstances in which a licensee may use the trademark
> UNIX on and in connection with its products.  Statements that SCO 'owns the
> UNIX operating system', has 'licensed UNIX to XYZ' are clearly inaccurate
> and misleading."

Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"
Maku e ki, "He tangata, he tangata, he tangata."
I reply, "It is people, it is people, it is people."