[TUHS] SCO removed the anchient UNIX offer web page

Peter Jeremy peter.jeremy at alcatel.com.au
Fri Jun 20 11:52:47 AEST 2003

On 2003-Jun-19 17:10:52 -0700, Andru Luvisi <luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu> wrote:
>On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Warren Toomey wrote:
>[snip]
>> I would be very careful here. At the very least, the contract doesn't
>> explicitly cover SysIII, although you could argue that it is a
>> SUCCESSOR OPERATING SYSTEM. And the Caldera license explicitly forbids
>> SysIII.
>
>It seems to me that the fact that SCO offered SysIII on the page linked to
>from the license agreement implies that SCO intended for SysIII to be
>covered by this license.

I think the status of SysIII was always a bit murky.  Whilst it may
have been old SCO's intention that the Ancient UNIX license covered
SysIII, the license doesn't say so.  Since the license doesn't
explicitly allow SysIII, it would be up to you to convince the judge
that the license does implicitly cover SysIII.

Of course, by publishing SysIII, SCO have blown any trade secret claims
relating to SysIII out of the water.  But that doesn't make it legal
for you to use it.

Peter