[pups] 2BSD build problem - unix.o not too big

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Tue Mar 18 02:38:06 AEST 2003

Hi -

> From: David Evans <dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
>
>   I don't recall seeing any overlay info when I set up my 11/73 back in
> January.  I even asked the dreaded overlay FAQ here!  :)  I was also at 431.

	Ok, I probably only thought about including the writeup in the
	documentation.   I know I did write up a moderately lengthy
	article about dealing with the overlay setup in response to a
	problem someone was having.  I just never went and incorporated it
	into the setup/installatino documentation ;(

	One thing, obvious now that I think of it, I forgot to mention last
	night is that "too big for type 431" can also happen if the D space
	total is too large.   If 'MAXUSERS' is set too high for example
	then more than 48KB of D space will be needed and the linker will
	complain.    Look at the sum of the DATA and BSS segments (it might
	be necessary to sum up the .o files individually) - if it's pushing
	48KB then that's the problem.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz