[pups] Progress on 2.11BSD kernel

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Thu Mar 20 05:09:58 AEST 2003

Hi -

> From: David Evans <dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
>   I recall cranking MAXUSERS up a little, though I can't remember to

	Good Idea because the default is only suitable for single user mode
	and building a new/custom kernel.   Quite a few kernel tables
	are sized based on 'maxusers' - in particular the coremap and swapmap
	tables (which track the fragments of memory and swap space) will be
	exhausted easily if you bring up a network'd kernel and start up
	the various daemons.

> what and my PDP-11 is turned off at the monent.  A clarification of
> how the whole Unibus map register business effects Qbus-based systems
> would be nice.

	It really doesn't - not having UMRs to deal with is a Nice Thing about
	the Qbus ;)   The kernel (and the standalone utilities of course)
	need to know if they're on a U or Q-bus system but once a Q system
	is found then the UMR handling is bypassed.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz