[TUHS] Sprite

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Wed May 26 18:05:06 AEST 2004

On Tuesday, 25 May 2004 at 23:29:57 -0500, Randy Belk wrote:
>> Would it make sense to add Sprite to the Unix Archives? To me, yes, it was
>> enough UNIX like although it wasn't ATT or BSD derived and it had many
>> advanced features.
>>
>> I had the (small) pleasure to run it on a small number of
>> DECstations back in 1994-1995 out of the freshly published
>> WalnuCreek CD and I still long for some of it features.
>>
>> The distribution is still available at
>>
>>       http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/projects/sprite/
>
> I have looked everywhere for the cdrom of sprite. I saw a book about
> it a long time ago at a bookstore and almost bought it. Some very
> good theory and code was in the book if I remember right.  I don't
> guess any one would have the Walnut Creek cdrom of sprite that they
> would convert to an ISO and make available?

Well, a CD-ROM *is* an ISO, so it doesn't need conversion beyond
dd'ing to some other format (note: CD-ROMs have a 2 kB block size, so
you'll need a bs=4b or larger for it to work at all).

Anyway, I think I have what you're looking for: "Sprite 1984-1993",
published by Walnut Creek CDROM.  I can make a copy for you (I'm
pretty sure there's no copyright issue, but I'll check what's on the
CD before making the copy).  But wouldn't it be easier just to
download the stuff off the net?

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.