[Unix-jun72] Import V1 filesystem trees into svn?

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Tue May 6 12:57:44 AEST 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 04:48:46PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> > I think it would be a good idea to import the V1 / and /usr filesystem from
> > the s2 tape into the subversion repository, so that we can write a tools/
> > script to build "known good" rf0.dsk and rk1.dsk disk images.
>
> The rf0 disk is pretty manageable.  The rk0 disk is 2.5M and might
> be a little big for putting into the SVN

Sorry Tim. I meant putting the files which will go onto the images, not
the images themselves. Plus a tools/ script to build the images.

> I think the bigger question here is what do we want the standard disk
> image to look like?  Are we building rf0 with s2/bin and s2/etc only?
> Should it have the jun72 init on it?  the jun72 sh?  A "mount" utility?
> Will there be any new versions or hacks applied?

Perhaps we do the same as we have done with patches:

	fs/root == original files as per s2 tape
	fs/usr  == original files as per s2 tape
	fs/newfiles == new files to add to images
	fs/buildroot == modified root	(not in svn)
	fs/buildusr == modified usr	(not in svn)
	tools/xxx	== script to build root and usr

> What about the files that mkfs can't currently put on the system due to size?

Current mkfs can write all the s2 files, including the large ones.

> What about file permissions? Are we going to restore the old s2 permissions?

We can modify mkfs to restore uid, time and V1 permissions.

> Do we want to put up prebuilt kernels?

No, just document the method to build the kernels.

> I imagine we want to have a script that autogenerates each of the
> images that we intend to put up.

I think that's the way to go: a script to build a kernel + a set of
suitable tape/disk image files for it. Make it a top-level script
that calls next-level scripts, so that we can still run tools/assemv7
if we want to build a kernel and not build a filesystem.

	Warren