[TUHS] 386BSD on Bochs & Qemu...

Carl Lowenstein carl.lowenstein at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 03:32:51 AEST 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 2:28 AM, Jacob Goense <dugo at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>> It got me curious about where 386BSD ended though. Did anyone save
>>> the 386BSD Reference CD-ROM Release 1.0 from /dev/null?
>>
>> Yes, I have a copy.  It was pretty much useless.  All the
>> documentation was in some Microsoft format, and I couldn't read it.
>> Unfortunately Dr Dobbs has a copyright on it, or I could upload it for
>> the curious.

Using tools that were not available 15 years ago, Google search for
"windows+help+file+reader" leads me to, among others:
<http://helpexplorer.software.informer.com/> which looks promising.
Of course I don't have anything to try exercising it on.

> That's about what I understood from as well from reading this column
> at http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/tin/P/199503.shtml
>
>  "The 386BSD release CD-ROM includes a mixture of BSD and Jolitz code,
>  articles, and what have you. The files are hyperlinked with a global
>  glossary and index to illustrate the structure and interdependence in
>  the discussion of the system files.
>
> The stuff in WinHelp format being useless, ok, but what about the
> system on the CD, did you ever try booting and installing it?

Maybe WinHelp format has not changed over the decades.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenstein at ucsd.edu