[TUHS] b remnants?

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 02:41:27 AEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Jason Stevens
<jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com> wrote:
> Yep, dungeon runs great on RT-11 ... I've docuemnted the experence here...
>
> http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/?p=169
>
> Building the fortran compiler was... an adventure onto its own, but luckily
> I found some documentation @ bitsavers, and could ask on the PDP11 lists for
> help... I'm amazed it compiled and runs! ..
>
> Oh and TripOS is the BCPL based OS that ran on all kinds of machines, it was
> very portable, the best known port would be AmigaDOS for the Commodore
> Amiga.  I wonder if it was licensing fees and BCPL/TripOS being based in the
> UK what seperated them from C/Unix... I guess we'd be living in the B++, B#
> and ObjectiveB world if it wasn't for DMR's wonderful world of C .. :)

Hello!
Well as it happens I looked up BCPL via Google and got this Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCPL That one lead to this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TX-2 which of course goes here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TX-0 that one mentions how the PDP-1 came
about. The TX-0 is the direct ancestor to the PDP-1.

With today's FPGA technology someone should revive the TX-0 and the
TX-1 that way......

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com