[TUHS] K&R C on a modern Linux box? ( was Re: I swear! I rtfm'ed )

Derrik Walker v2.0 dwalker at doomd.net
Wed Dec 31 16:02:23 AEST 2014

On Wed, 2014-12-31 at 00:44 -0500, Jacob Ritorto wrote:

> P.S. if anyone's bored enough, you can check out what we're up to at
> https://github.com/srphtygr/dhb.  I'm trying to get my 11yo kid to
> spend a little time programming rather than just playing video games
> when he's near a computer.  He'a actually getting through this stuff
> and is honestly interested when he understands it and sees it work --
> and he even spotted a bug before me this afternoon!  Feel free to
> raise issues, pull requests, etc. if you like -- I'm putting him
> through the git committing and pair programming paces, so outside
> interaction would be kinda fun :)
>

> P.P.S.  We're actually using 2.11bsd after all..

I'm curious, will gcc on a modern Linux system compile K&R c?

Maybe when I get a little time, I might try to see if I can compile it
on a modern Fedora 21 system with gcc.

BTW: Great job introducing him to such a classic environment. A few
years ago, my now 18 year old had expressed some interest in graphics
programming and was in awe over an SGI O2 I had at the time, so I got
him an Indy.  He played around with a bit of programming, but
unfortunately, he lost interest.

- Derrik